There are many different brands of hair straightener brushes on the market today At the time of this writing one of the most popular types is the paddle shaped straightener bush. It’s one device that does it all. Or close to it. It’s not perfect. It’s a straightener brush, a hair brush styler (sort of), and a dryer (that’s a stretch to say the least) all combined into one hair styling tool. This is the latest and greatest style perfecting gadget. It is one of the most versatile products on the market today.These styling tools are much safer on your hair than a flat iron but are not perfect either. They do have some disadvantages.
The biggest disadvantages of a hair straighter brushes are they do not work as well as a curling iron for curling hair or creating waves. A hair straightener brush although very versatile can’t not take the place of a hair dryer. And if misused can burn your hair, can cause hot spots on your hair and also can cause split ends by overuse. However, it does straighten hair.
Hair Straightener Brush Disadvantages
- Hair drying cons: A straightener brush should not be used to dry your hair directly out of the shower. If you take this approach, it will just take forever. According to Stacey, Hair Research Analyst, “Allow your hair to dry or pre-dry with a regular hair dryer up to 80 percent dry for best results.” Plus you want to make sure not to promote split ends by styling wet hair. You should take every precaution to avoid split ends and use the best brush, right? To finish drying, use the hot air styler and create the style you want. Use clips to hold your hair, while working in sections and wrap a small portion of hair around the brush and slide. It takes some practice to become accustomed to the rotating brush.
- Straightening cons: A straightener brush doesn’t give you pin straight hair like a flat iron; it smooths your hair and some models comes close. You still have to use a flat iron if you want to straighten your really curly thick hair. You will also need to use your flat iron if you want your ends straighter, because the brush head does not allow much tension for straightening. This is where a straightener brush really fails.
- Curing hair cons: Most straightener brushes are not going to do good job at curling your hair because of the shape of the brush head. And it you have a round hot air styler it might if you have thin, fine hair. If you want real nice super tight curls, it’s just not the best good choice. There are much better tools on the market that do a much better job at producing tight curls. Curls created with a hot air brush do not last long as curls created with a curling iron or round brush and a hairdryer. Depending on your hair length and thickness or diameter, some curls or slight natural waves can be obtained.
- Snagging hair cons: Sometimes your hair can get tangled in the brush. I am referring to round hot hair stylers with rotating barrels. If your hair is tangled, press the button to untangle the hair, allowing the barrel to swing. If you use a double rotating brush, change the direction to leave your hair out of the brush. Use the cool setting to set the style and add more luminosity to your hair once the hot settings are finished.
- Nylon bristles cons: Most round hot air styler type products have nylon bristles. Plastic bristles usually does a great job of transferring heat to your hair. They also easily pick up your hair and tend not to wrap up their hair very well therefore slides off. Nylon bristles are going to be better for styling coarse hair. And soft bristles work well for fine hair. Depending you your hair type you want to pick the bristle that is right for you. For example, if you have fine hair you want a soft bristle as not to grab and rip at your hair. You want to minimize the chance of snagging your hair. Most hair straightener brushes have hard plastic bristles in which you hair just flow through mostly without any tension. Not much to say here other than the bristles are hard and transfer heat to your hair.
- Damaged hair drawbacks: Make sure you read the instructions for the product and select the right temperature for your hair type. According to Meesh, Hair Product Analyst, “If you can use a heat protector before styling, it could help save your hair.” It’s best if you don’t use the brush too much. You can end up with split ends, burned or even dull-looking hair by overuse. Some hair stylists do not recommend daily use of a hot air brush. They recommend 2-3 times a week at the most.
These are just some of the most common disadvantages that I know of that comes to mind immediately. Generally speaking these products are safe but by not following the manufactures guidelines you can damage your hair. Hot air brushes generally produce lower heat than an flat iron but with overuse can cause damage to your hair. Also, consider using a high quality ceramic hair dryer. They are much better on your hair than conventional dryers.
Are Hair Straightening Brushes Damaging?
Your hair will often suffer less damage from straightening brushes. You prevent both the tugging and snags that flat irons can cause as well as applying direct heat to both sides of your hair.
Do Heat Brushes Damage Hair?
Heated brushes are among the safest style tools available, despite the fact that using heat on your hair in any way can cause harm. Because heated brushes utilize less direct heat than hair straighteners or curling irons, they inflict less harm to the hair.
Hair Brush Straighteners vs. Flat Irons
|Advantages||Hair Brush Straighteners||Flat Irons|
|Saves you time||Yes|
|Gentle on hair||Yes|
|Easy to use||Yes|
|Pin straight hair||Yes|
|Straighten close to roots||Yes|
|Thick curly hair||Yes|
Hair Brush Straightener Types
- Stationary – these have a fixed position on the brush, so you have to move it manually to style your hair. Some people prefer stationary brush rather than rotating brushes because the hair is not tangled.
- Rotating – the brush head can rotate, which increases the volume of your hair and facilitates your styling. The brush can also be used without rotation.
- Hot air brushes with the spinning feature tend to catch more hair than stationary brushes, and it also takes more time to master a rotating hair brush dryer than a manually rotating hair brush.
- Dual-rotation – these styling tools have two directional buttons, so that they can spin either forward or backward, making them equally convenient for people that are either right handed or left handed.
Straightening Brush Features
- Ceramic Design: Ensures even heating of each strand of hair and helps shorten styling time. A larger ceramic head allows more hair to be straightened for each pass or brush through as compared to a flat iron.
- Anti-Static: Negatively charged ions helps prevent static in your hair. the negative ions helps seal the cuticle and reduce flyways and frizzy hair.
- Anti-Scalding: Anti-scalding technology protects skin and reduces the risk of getting burned. the brush head gets hot while the handle stays cool to the touch.
- MCH Technology: MCH or metal ceramic heater plates save power and instantly heats up and delivers a constant temperature.
Hair Straightener Brush Disadvantages My Thoughts
|Hair Straightening Brushes||Hair Straightening Brush Recommendations|
|1. Ricank Professional STRAIGHTENING BRUSH||Although this is a budget model, it does not handle black 4c hair very well, the price is really reasonable.|
|2. MiroPure 2-in-1 Ionic Hair STRAIGHTENING BRUSH||Straightener brush that is excellent for all-around use. There are no negatives from my perspective on this one. Excellent for people with dark hair! Another hair straightener that comes close to being a superb budget model. There are numerous benefits for the price.|
|3. Rifny Hair STRAIGHTENING COMB||For the price, this is an excellent brush; nevertheless, it is not suggested for short black hair. It has three heat settings and is not excessively expensive.|
|4. Glamfields STRAIGHTENING BRUSH 2.0||Straightening brush that is most likely the best value for money. The back of the brush head does become hot, as it does with the majority of cheap models. This is without a doubt a fantastic top pick. It includes all of the main functions, as well as a few extras, and it is offered at an affordable price.|
|5. Revlon One-Step Hair Dryer & Styler Brush||Budgeting model that works well. The price is reasonable. I’m not a fan of the huge handle or the fact that there is no temperature display, but for the price, I can’t really complain.|
|6. Infinitipro By Conair Wet/Dry Hot Air Brush Styler||The tourmaline ceramic (ceramic coating) technology is appealing to me, however it is not ideal for people with thick black hair.|
|7. InStyler Straight Up Ceramic STRAIGHTENING BRUSH||Very well done. What I enjoy about it is how quickly it heats up (30 seconds). There are seven heat settings, which is satisfactory. The Straight Up brush is a new addition to the line-up for this year. InStyler is a well-known brand in the area of hair straightening, and this particular model has many of the features you would expect from a brush of this kind. Excellent bargain from a well-known and respected premier brush company.|
|8. Tymo iONIC Hair STRAIGHTENING BRUSH||Extremely well-designed, with numerous controllable parameters and functions for a hot brush in this price range. Will leave you with silky, natural-looking lustrous locks.|
|9. Drybar The Baby Brush Crush||Straightening black hair with this product is a breeze. It is equipped with ion and titanium technology. This is a good deal. When traveling, I prefer the small but powerful size.|
|10. CHI Tourmaline Ceramic Heated Paddle Brush||When straightening hair, tourmaline ceramic bristles provide a firmer grip, which is critical for straightening hair. My favorite features are the LED digital temperature control and automatic locking temperature setting, which prevents you from mistakenly increasing the temperature while straightening black hair and burning yourself or your hair. This is a great deal!|
|11. Lena Hair Dryer Brush And Volumizer||Because of the powerful negative ion care and far infrared technology, I really like it. Straightening, volumizing, smoothing, and flipping are all possible with this product.|
|12. Sultra The Bombshell VoluStyle Heated Brush||I appreciate the use of infrared and ionic technology, as well as the high level of quality. It also features an auto-shutdown feature, which is really convenient. It has a temperature setting with an LED display that has three settings: 300 degrees Fahrenheit for fine hair, 360 degrees Fahrenheit for average hair, and 430 degrees Fahrenheit for thick hair. Things become really straightforward as a result of this configuration.|
|13. Drybar The Brush Crush||This brush is one of my favorites since the rear of the head does not get too heated like the backs of other, less expensive brushes. Excellent quality with a plethora of useful functions. Because of the great quality and precision temperature control provided by the digital display, this is my top choice. Also my top pick for frizzy hair.|
|14. ghd Glide Hot Brush, Professional Hot Brush||I like it since it is the most straightforward hot hush to use ever! This product is excellent for taming and smoothing dry hair for quick and uncomplicated styling.|
|15. Remington Pro 2-in-1 Heated Straightening Brush||I love the very affordable price and it actually works very well to eliminate frizz. However, I hate the Purple color. Lucky it also comes in other colors like black. My biggest complaint is due to the brush head design it’s not going to work very well for folks who have short hair. Other than that it’s actually a great buy.|
|16. Dyson Airwrap||Excellence. I love everything but the price. However, I highly recommend. Very high quality, with excellence fit and finish. Great performance. Like all excellent hot hair brushes it need no gloves. Read my article on how to use the Dyson Airwrap.|
Hot air brushes are definitely considered to be safer than hot iron or even curling tongs. They don’t press hair between heated plates, but blow hot air instead.
If you have damaged hair or just want an extra level of protection, I recommend that you select a good hydrating shampoo and use one of my favorites, Argan oil after styling, to create a fabulous look. I hope you found this write-up interesting and it provided you with more knowledge about hair straightener brushes.
Find out more on Hot brushes. What are the most important features you should have on a hot brush? I analyzed some the top brands. You can find my articles here: “Hot Brushes“.
At first glance both seem to be pretty much equal. Both did a good job at straightening hair provided the temperature was set right. As we see if you have thin hair it a lower temperature is needed to straighten your hair. To straighten thicker hair higher temperatures are needed.
As the temperature increased on the cheap straightener brush the back of the brush got so hot you could not touch it without risk of getting burned. In my mind this is unacceptable and not safe.
A feature that stood out to me was the LED temperature readout. As you can see with an LED temperature display you can set the brush at exactly the right temperature for your hair type. By doing this you are taking precautions so that you do not burn your hair. Why use 450 degrees when you can get by with 300 degrees, right? You want to use the lowest temperature that is best suited for your hair. You hair will love you.
Tip: Make sure to eliminate any tangles before you start straightening. Using a hot brush on knotted hair may cause breaking.
My final thoughts after watching this video is you may get lucky and get a cheep straightener brush and it maybe be a good one. And, if you have thin hair and require a lower temperature to straighten your hair you may be in luck. A $9.99 brush may work.
But for $9.99 I have to question quality control and the quality of materials being used. If the brush gets so hot to the touch I am going to be very skeptical it’s going to be safe. One day it just might decide to catch fire or end up burning me or what ever I might set it down on.
The more expensive brush at $145.00 created more shine and the back of the brush did not get too hot. That tells me they used higher quality materials and maybe even added material to keep the back from getting too hot. I would have more confidence that the expensive brush was designed better and ultimately much safer than the cheep model.
If you have thick hair then the cheep model is not usable due to the back will get so hot it’s unusable. Another option might be to look for a straightening brush that is more than $9.99 and not as cheep. A $9.99 straightening brush is just way too cheep. What are your thoughts?
Hair Straightener Brush Facts
- Hair straightener brushes are safer than flat irons. And the reason why is that if you have used a flat ion at some point I met you have been burned or at least mildly. Hair straightener brushes safe guard against burning due to their design which incorporates heat safe rubber tips. None or very little of the heating elements are exposed. Plus the models I mentioned here in this article have an auto shut-off feature. This is one feature in my book you want to have in case you accidentally leave in plugged in, right?
- Two types of hair straightener brushes. One type has a rotating barrel in which when moving your hair is never in contact with very long. The biggest con is that your hair may get tangles in the rotating mechanism. The other type of Hair straightener brush which is covered in this article are the ones with a fixed head. They do not rotate and resemble a rather large brush.
- Hair straightener brushes emit negative ions to help with frizzy hair. The negative ions produce really nice silky strands of hair. And it also makes it much easier to brush your hair. Your stands of hair will not stick together as much thus allowing the straightener brush to smoothly glide through your hair. This is particularly beneficial because it can drastically decrease styling time. And who does not want that, right?
- Keeping your hair shape is important. If you spend 15 to 20 minutes straightening your hair I bet you would like it to stay that way through out the day, right. Hair is make of what’s called keratin. The atoms in keratin create what’s called a molecular bond and that very bond is what cause your hair to stay straight. Of stay curly for that matter. Hair straightener brushes break these bonds and thus allowing your hair to be shaped differently. Ever wonder why after a perm on a rainy day your hair goes flat? Well water can also be a major contributing factor in breaking bonds and therefore ruin your perm.
- Quality of construction is important. Always look for a hair straightener brush that has a good grip. Many times your hand may be slick with conditioner and if your hair straightener brush does not have a solid grip then you are more apt to drop it. And that is the last thing you want because it can ruin your Hair straightener brush. It very dangerous. Ones that have a non-slip rubber grip would rank high on my list. The straightening process is less damaging to the hair if you use a quality appliance and if you use it appropriately. Your hair will not overheat, as you don’t squeeze it between hot plates. The period of exposure to heat is also shorter than when you use a flat iron.
- Temperature display is important. Why over heat your hair when you do not need too, right? Having a temperature display can save your hair from getting over heated or even burned. You always want to know exactly how hot your brush is getting so you can avoid damage. You really want a brush with an accurate temperature display.
Is It Possible To Use Straightening On Hair Extensions?
Because synthetic hair extensions are heat-sensitive, they should never be styled with a heating tool. Your hair extensions will repay you by lasting longer if you can give them a vacation from the blow dryer, curling iron, and straightener.
HairBrushy Articles to Help You Find Which Boar Bristle Brush is Best?
|Boar bristle brushes for men made in Germany||German wooden boar hair brush made by master craftsmen is designed to make you feel and look great. They are unique products that make a great gift and a lasting impression. When you think of Germany, the first thought most likely comes to mind is high quality, exquisite craftsmanship and the finest boar brushes. And of course, in exchange for quality and craftsmanship, most people would be willing to pay a little more. After all, these are products that should last a lifetime if taken care of.|
|Are boar bristles vegan?||Most are made of nylon and plastic. These are definitely vegan. But what about the ones that are derived from hogs, are they vegan? The problem is when upgrading from a synthetic to a natural one the main material used for natural bristles comes from pigs which are not vegan. This is very unpleasant and totally unacceptable to many vegans. So the main reason to upgrade to a boar bush is that many stylists claim that it helps to collect and distribute the natural oils evenly. And combine that with natural bristles your scalp is encouraged to produce a healthy production of sebum that smooths down the shaft thus increasing brightness and health. So if you are a vegan…|
|Do boar bristles damage hair?||Do boar bristles damage hair? There are several different types of hair and depending on your type you should choose the tools that is best for you. You can easily cause damage by forcefully taking it and ripping through your tufts, or combing when your hair is wet or even trying to detangle. These are instances where you should not be using it. There are other tools better suited for the job that is not going to…|
|Are boar bristle brushes made from boars?||Combing will clean the dust and conditioning products from your tresses. As they come in contact with your mane are cleaning out the dead cells from you scalp, cleaning…|
|Are boar bristles good?||They have been around for a long time. They have always been known for creating shiny, healthy tresses without the use of styling products. It works to move oil down each follicle very time to comb. It’s this oil that coats each strand and help repair damaged areas and adds a protective shine. The process does not change the texture of your follicles. So if you have curly tufts for example, it’s not going to change that. You will still have curly hair. But the natural oil can make your it more bouncy for example. By combing your…|
|Are boar bristles cruelty free?||Are you interest in finding out more about cruelty free piggy bristles? Say bye-bye to fly-away. Dual boar and nylon is one of the best combinations when combing your tufts for reducing static. It smooths and combs your hair beautifully without any pulling or tugging. The oval cushion is very well balanced with a combination of natural boar bristles with a soft finished edge and nylon. It glides through your tresses smoothly while boosting brightness and adding volume. The smooth, satin finish handles feel great in your hand while…|
|Best boar bristle brush||Boar bristles redistribute the scalp’s natural oils to the end of the hair tips, which add brightness to the hair. A good boar bristle brush when brushing your hair takes essential sebum oils produced by your scalp and moves it along your hair shaft. Sebum is simply a protective…|
|What is a Boar Bristle Brush Used For?||Boar bristle brushes have been around for a long time. They have always been noted for creating shiny, healthy hair without the use of styling products. As you well may know there are many well known famous actress that have used a boar bristle brush to obtain…|
More Hot Air Brushes and Straightener Articles
Best straightening brush for black hair
What is The Best ghd Hair Straightener Brush
Women Try Cheap Vs. Expensive Straightening Brushes