There is a good chance that you are already familiar with the miraculous effects that keratin treatments may have. Frizzy hair, dry hair, damaged hair, puffy hair (you get the idea) can be transformed into sleek, frizz-free hair, easy-to-dry locks with the help of this salon-saved sanity-saver over the following two to three months.
The time has come for you to get a keratin treatment, smoothing treatment, straightening treatment or Brazilian blowout by a professional stylist if you are weary of dealing with tangled locks and the frizz that is caused by humidity. Furthermore, if you are sick of spending an hour perfecting your hairdo only to have it erupt when you step outside, then it is time for you to get one.
Best option: Keep in mind to get the best results and done correctly get your treatment done by a professional stylist. Keratin treatments can last anywhere up to 6 months with proper care. A keratin hair treatment is an option that is a healthier alternative to other straightening treatments such as relaxers, and it is an excellent choice for people who have frizzy hair.
2/14/2023 According to the guardian, “Nearly 60 lawsuits alleging that hair relaxer products sold by L’Oreal and other companies cause cancer and other health issues will be consolidated in a Chicago federal court. The lawsuits claim that the companies knew their products contained dangerous chemicals but still marketed and sold them. A National Institutes of Health study published in October found that women who used the products multiple times a year were more than twice as likely to develop uterine cancer. The lawsuits follow the study’s publication, and the cases will be centralized into a multidistrict litigation before US district judge Mary Rowland.
Keratin treatments fully smooth out your hair and will keep it free of frizz since they fill in the porosity gaps (porous parts) that naturally occur in your hair strands. Keratin treatments can be found at most beauty supply stores. In addition, one of the primary advantages of getting a keratin treatment is the manner in which it tames the curl pattern of your hair. This will save you a significant amount of time if you frequently press your hair to straighten it. If you have naturally curly hair, you probably won’t see much shine in your hair because curls reflect light less than straight hair does. However, if you get a keratin treatment, your hair will look noticeably more shiny than it did before.
Even though the aesthetician will perform the procedure, it is still incumbent upon you to do your bit of getting ready for it in the most effective manner possible in advance. Here is what you should do in order to give yourself the best possible opportunity to achieve the desired outcome. What to anticipate in order to achieve the most favorable outcomes with your keratin treatment:
Before Your Scheduled Keratin Treatment
- Prior to getting your keratin treatment, you should get your permanent color, semi-permanent color, or highlights done. The treatment helps the color to retain its vibrancy and ensures that it will persist for a longer period of time.
- Avoid conditioners (and hair mask) two days before. If you use conditioners in the days leading up to your treatment, you should try to avoid doing so because they may interfere with the keratin treatment and make it less effective. You should also avoid using any form of oil on your hair, as well as heavy treatments that can cause buildup on your head, such as wax. Up to the point where the treatment is actually carried out, the aim is to maintain the hair in its most natural state possible.
- You are going to absolutely adore the outcomes of your therapy if you carry out these steps in the days leading up to it. Get ready for hair that is silky smooth and free of frizz (smooth hair cuticle) all year round.
- As a result of the treatment, your hair will need to hang loose for three days, so make sure that your itinerary does not include any activities that will need you to wear a hat, an updo, or any bands or clips.
- After receiving treatment, you must refrain from getting your hair wet for at least three days. This includes excursions to places with high humidity, such as coastal areas and aquariums.
- Examine the upcoming weather prediction. Keratin treatments are suitable for use on days with precipitation, but you should still bring an umbrella and a raincoat with a hood that has some give to it.
- The use of keratin treatments is not advised for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Make sure you have plenty of sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner on hand. Stay away from strong shampoos that strip your hair in the week leading up to your treatment. Even though they are less abrasive and don’t produce the same “squeaky clean” impression, shampoos that are branded as “clarifying” should also be avoided because they perform the same stripping action as the other types of shampoos. You should also refrain from using any home remedies that you might conduct, such as soaking your hair in vinegar to eliminate buildup, and you should definitely consult a salon professional before using these remedies in the first place. Vinegar soaks are an example of a home remedy.
- Deep condition your hair (conditioning treatment) the week before you plan to treat it. You want your hair to be as natural as possible before the treatment, but you also want to have a stable platform to work on. That means sealed cuticles and healthy strands. You can prevent damage to your hair by giving it a thorough conditioning treatment one week before getting it treated. This does not involve going out and purchasing an expensive do-it-yourself product from the shop; rather, it means steaming your hair in the shower for ten minutes before applying conditioner, then letting it sit for ten minutes before rinsing it off.
When You Come in for Your Keratin Treatment
Products that work for us! We are not quick to recommend products. When we do they are not always the most popular or the biggest brands. Instead we try to figure out what really works to prevent costly mistakes. To review our list click Hair Care With Minimum Effort.
- Please leave a window of roughly two to three hours for the Treatment.
- Most likely you won’t be allowed to use earplugs if you have some form of entertainment with you, such as magazines, books, a tablet, or even just checking your email.
- Inquire about the availability of a Keratin brand that is free of formaldehyde and other potentially hazardous compounds.
For a Period of Time Extending to Three Days Following Your Keratin Appointment
- The care you provide yourself in the first three days or 72 hours after your treatment is critical to achieving the best and most long-lasting benefits. This means that for the next three days, you must follow to these principles very strictly.
- Do not get your hair wet. Avoid washing.
- Always use the very best shower cap whenever you get in the shower.
- If you work out and/or sweat a lot, you should head to a drier as soon as possible. As quickly as possible, blow dry and flat iron using a heat setting between medium and low.
- You are not allowed to swim, not even with a swim hat on.
- No saunas, baths, hot tubs, steam showers, skiing, skating.
- If there is a chance of rain or fog, you should always have an umbrella and a loose rain hat with you—or even a plastic shower cap—just in case.
- Wearing a shower cap or a spa band can help you keep your hair out of your face when you wash your face or brush your teeth. If you have long hair, you may avoid it from getting tangled up in the water by tucking it into the back of your shirt.
Three Weeks Or More After Your Treatment
- Could be three to six weeks or so after your treatment. Keratin will take care of moisturizing your hair and eliminate frizz (or reduce frizz).
- Your keratin treatment will be rendered useless if you continue to use shampoos that include sulfate. To preserve your results, you must use sodium chloride-free hair products. Gently shampoo, then towel dry. Look for the right products like enriched amino acid conditioners, shampoos and styling products to help with split ends and help strengthen your hair.
- Following the treatment, I recommend getting the haircut because it will have a smoother texture and will lay in a different pattern than it did before.
- A minimum of two weeks should pass before you get your hair colored, in my opinion.
- The hair will be less unruly and difficult to style, in addition to being resistant to the effects of humidity. It will have a notably smoother and softer texture, in addition to more life, luster, and vitality.
Basit, A., Sadaf, S., & Akhtar, M. W. (2018). Health improvement of human hair and their reshaping using recombinant keratin K31. Biotechnology Reports, 20, e00288. sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2215017X18302017
Maneli, M. H., Smith, P., & Khumalo, N. P. (2014). Elevated formaldehyde concentration in “Brazilian keratin type” hair-straightening products: A cross-sectional study. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, 70(2), 276-280. sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0190962213011353
Weathersby, C., & McMichael, A. (2013). Brazilian keratin hair treatment: a review. Journal of cosmetic dermatology, 12(2), 144-148. onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/jocd.12030