Have you heard about the InStyler hair styling tool? Hot air brushes are a great tool to style your hair and give you the style to fit your occasion. Your hair style is a vital part of your image, just like makeup. You always want to look your best and any styling tool that makes the job easier and quicker is a plus. The Instyler has many features that can help you look your best. According to Meesh, Hair Product Analyst, “One of the most important features of any hot air InStyler tool is the ability to control the temperature. It’s critical to get the heat settings right for your hair type.“
InStyler Temperature Settings
InStyler heat settings are: Off – no bars, Low – one bar (284°F/140°C), Medium – two bars (315°F/157°C) and High – three bars (385°F/196°C). The InStyler Max 2-Way rotating styler has multiple heat settings. According to Stacey, Hair Research Analyst, “The InStyler starts off on the Maximum heat setting of 425 degrees.” You will need to press the power button to reduce the heat. The LED bars will flash while heating up and once the temperature is achieved the LED bars will stay lit.
InStyler MAX 2-Way Multiple Heat Settings
|Temp Level||Heat Indicator||Temp||Recommendations|
|MAX||4 Bars||425°F||Ideal for thick hair|
|HIGH||3 Bars||383°F||Ideal for medium-to-thick hair|
|MED||2 Bars||315°F||Ideal for thin-to-medium hair|
|LOW||1 Bar||285°F||Ideal for thin, fine hair or hair that is damaged or color Treated|
Use Heat Settings And Techniques Suited For Your Hair Type
The way you use your MAX depends on what type of hair you have. You’ll get the most out of your MAX if you use the techniques best suited to your hair type.
The three main types of hair are:
- Fine: Set MAX at Low to Medium heat setting. With fine hair, you should only need 1 to 2 passes with MAX to achieve your desired results.
- Medium or Normal: Set your MAX to the Medium to High heat setting. You should only need 1 to 2 passes with MAX to achieve your desired results.
- Thick or Coarse: Set your MAX at the highest heat setting and style as desired. With coarse hair, 2 to 3 passes with MAX should be enough to set your style.
Don not rush! Remember to take you time and move slowly through your hair.
- Volumizing products can be used to hold the style.
- To hold your style, end with a professional light finishing spray.
- Although MAX uses less heat than other hair appliances, we recommend using thermal protectant products before use.
- For color treated hair, we also recommend a lightweight shampoo and a light leave-in conditioner.
InStyler Basic Preparation For All Hair Types
- Before using your MAX, you should always start with clean, dry hair.
- You should also detangle first with a brush, and all sections should be combed out for optimal results and shine.
- Sections of hair to be styled should be no wider than the length of the MAX barrel. We recommend starting with 1 to 3 inch sections at a time for whichever style you want to achieve.
- Style the under layers of your hair first. After under layers are completed, style your top layers.
- You may use any salon quality styling product with your MAX, however we do not recommend the use of any oil- based products with your MAX.
- For better hold, you can use your favorite light styling spray on each section of hair before using your MAX.
- Go Slowly! The most important lesson is to glide MAX slowly. Don’t worry if you see “steam” coming off of your hair when using your MAX. This is not the result of any damage to the hair, it is simply excess moisture that is evaporating.
Don’t Have an InStyler MAX 1.25” 2-Way Rotating Straightener Yet?
This is my top choice for a rotating styler hairbrush. Why? Because you can control the temperature and have the unparalleled ability to add curls and waves with ease. The enormous advantage is you do not have to switch and turn the brush when going to the opposite side of your head. Simply press the rotating head and reverse the spin.
The Instyler sounds very simple to use but you have to be somewhat coordinated while using and looking at the mirror. That is the biggest downfall. You might have to practice using it before you have total confidence. It’s just something about the rotating head that makes first-timers a little nervous.
InStyler Pros and Cons
|Auto Shut-off safety||Fahrenheit to Celsius missing|
|Swivel cord||No Temperature lock|
|Ceramic surface kind to your hair||No power button lock|
|7 levels of heat||No hook to hang up|
|Anti-scald safety design||Not lightweight|
|Quick heat up in 30 seconds||Need a comb thru before using|
InStyler Model Comparison
|Advantages||Straightens||Voluminous||Curls & Waves||For Wet Hair|
|InsStyler BLU Turbo||Y||Y|
|InStyler Max Wet to Dry||Y||Y||Y||Y|
|InStyler Ionic Styler Pro||Y||Y||Y|
InStyler Rotating Brush Features
|Features||InStyler Rotating Brush|
|1 Double Negative Ions||N|
|2 Helps Hair Grow|
|3 Polishes Hair-shaft||Y|
|4 Creates a Natural Shine||Y|
|5 Less Static||Y|
|8 Easy To Use & Travel Friendly||Y|
|9 Good for Blow-Outs|
|10 Maximum Penetration|
|11 Advanced technology||Y|
|12 360 Rotating Handle||Y|
|13 Auto Off||Y|
|14 Temperature Lock Function||N|
|16 Heat Settings||3 Heat Settings|
|17 LCD Display||N|
|18 Fast Start Up||30 second|
|20 Ceramic Heater||Available|
How to use
How to do a classic blowout using the InStyler
- I always detangle and section my hair and smooth it out before styling.
- Also, I make sure the barrel is rotating away from my face.
- Then I grab a 1-2″ section of hair (make sure the section is no longer than the barrel) and spread it across the barrel evenly, with the barrel underneath the hair and the brush on top. Any then I make sure there are no loose strands hanging off the section. These could get tangled in the barrel.
- Slowly close the Max prime at my roots and then rotate my wrist slightly.
- I usually let the barrel rotate for a few seconds before gliding down hair.
- And finally for flips at the end, I rotate my wrist once at the end of the hair and hold. Congratulations, you now have a nice flip and classic blowout.
How to do a tousled wave style using the InStyler
- Again like mentioned in the above how-to I detangle and section my hair first, and then smooth it before styling.
- And again like mentioned above I always make sure the barrel is rotating away from tmy face.
- Now, here is where you have to hold tool vertically!!!! This is the most important part.
- Then grab a 1-2″ section of your hair and wrap it around the barrel. And again like mentioned above always make sure there are no loose strands hanging off the section and that all parts of the hair are on the barrel (and not the tool).
- Otherwise your hair could get tangled.
- Slowly close the Max prime on your hair for 3-5 seconds. The longer I press, the more defined the curl will be. If you have really thick hair you have have to hold longer. You will need to try a few times to get it right.
- And for a more piecey (create a textured or tousled) look or effect, pull at the ends of the hair.
- And then finally wrap your hair in alternate directions as you move through each section of hair.
- Congratulations you now have a great tousled wave style!!!
How to attach and remove the cool tip for extra fine control and comfort
- First, make sure the barrel is cool.
- Then insert the post of the Cool Tip into the hole on the end of the barrel and push until seated.
- And finally to remove the Cool Tip, wait until the unit is fully cool, then grasp the Cool Tip with fingers and pull to remove.
How to change the direction of the rotation | Double click to activate the 2-way rotation
To change the rotation direction for mazimum performance when styling close your InStyler MAX twice quickly. Remember, the InStyler MAX’S motorized barrel will rotate in either direction but for maximum results make sure the barrel rotates in the natural direction toward the end of your hair.
InStyler Heat Settings and Features
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I use MAX as compared to my flat iron?
The technique is similar in that you put your hair into MAX, you close it onto your hair, and then slowly move down the length of your hair. That is where the similarities end! The rotating, heated, polishing barrel and bristles will do most of the work for you. Plus, you’ll find that you can do much, much more with your MAX than you could ever do with your flat iron.
How is the InStyler MAX different from the original InStyler Rotating Iron?
We took a great product and made it even better! The original rotating iron has been improved with new features, like a 2-way rotating barrel, a fourth, higher heat setting; an upgraded Ceramic Tourmaline and Titanium rotating barrel, new ionic brush bristles and 20% increased barrel RPM speed. The Thermal Guard Training Aid and Cool Tip are upgraded features for additional comfort and safety.
My hair is coming out frizzy when I use my MAX. What am I doing wrong?
Go Slowly. It helps to completely dry, comb and detangle your hair as much as possible. Position MAX so that the barrel rotates with the direction of your hair. Also, keep in mind to put as little tension as possible on the barrel. This will help keep frizz to a minimum.
Does MAX work on natural African American hair?
Absolutely. You will get best results if your hair is combed and detangled first. MAX is a great tool for African American Hair because it will not leave crease marks like flat irons, and the polishing barrel and bristles will leave the hair looking shiny and beautiful. MAX is safe for any type of hair when used properly.
Can I use styling products before or after I use my MAX?
You can use any salon quality product with your MAX, although we do not recommend using any oil-based products on your hair beforehand. A professional thermal protectant spray can be applied to the hair before you style as well as any professional firm-up or styling spray to help hold the style.
MAX doesn’t seem to be working on my ends. Am I doing something wrong?
If you’re having trouble styling the ends, try holding MAX there a little bit longer. The ends of the hair are normally the driest part of the hair, and can be a bit more difficult to style. It helps to use a good conditioner, especially on the ends to help infuse moisture. Also, if you have split ends, the hair may come out looking frizzy.
I see smoke coming from my hair! Is it burning my hair?
No! MAX is not burning your hair. This is just a byproduct of the evaporation of built-up conditioner or styling products on your hair and it is completely normal.
Can I use my MAX with real human hair extensions?
Yes. Make sure you start with your MAX below where the extension is attached to your natural hair. Do not pull MAX through with any pressure, as you may pull out your extensions if not careful. NEVER use your MAX with any synthetic hair extensions.
What is the InStyler MAX Rotating Iron?
MAX is a new hair styling tool that straightens, polishes and styles hair by means of a rotating heated barrel and brush bristles. This totally new design polishes the hair strands individually, creating amazing results that are much better than those they would have achieved using a flat iron, curling iron, or hot tool. The new design delivers great results without an extreme amount of heat or heavy styling products.
How is MAX different than my flat iron?
Simple: A flat iron compresses, mashes and then literally bakes your hair between two extremely hot plates. MAX’S rotating polishing barrel gives your hair the heat it needs to help style and straighten. Since the barrel is constantly moving, it won’t “press and bake” like a traditional flat iron. MAX also features a heated, floating plate between the two rows of brushes. The plate automatically adjusts, allowing the hair to have more consistent contact with the barrel, without having to grip the unit so tightly. The result is less frizz and smoother, shinier hair with no creasing. The polishing barrel allows MAX to actually use less heat than a flat iron delivering better results including perfect flips, curls and loads of luscious volume.
I need a lot of heat to straighten my hair. Will MAX get hot enough?
We get asked this question a lot, and we’re very proud to say you can add this one to the old “hair styling myths” column! With MAX, you don’t need a lot of heat to straighten and style your hair! MAX’S unique design actually allows you to use less heat than you are used to, while still getting better results than you would with a flat iron or other hot tool. It’s a totally new way of thinking about heat and your hair – you don’t need the extreme heat to get the results you want. If you decide that you would like more heat, MAX has two different temperature settings.
Can I use MAX to curl hair?
Absolutely! Simply by wrapping your hair around the rotating heated polishing barrel, and closing MAX, you can create great curls!
The heated polishing barrel rotates. Can my hair get tangled?
No. The surface of the rotating heated polishing barrel is totally smooth, so your hair will not get tangled.
What is the diameter of the heated barrel?
Your MAX heated barrel diameter is 1 1/4 inches.
How do I turn MAX on?
Check to make sure your MAX is plugged in. Press the Power button. The LED bars should light and begin flashing. Once the LED stops flashing MAX is ready to go. You must close the handle to begin the rotation.
How do I get MAX to rotate?
You must close the handle to start the rotation. The rotation will start automatically.
How do I get my MAX to change it’s rotation direction?
Close the MAX twice quickly and the barrel will automatically begin rotating in the opposite direction. See page 3 for detailed instructions.
What if my MAX does not heat?
Check to make sure your MAX is plugged in. Press the Power button. The LED bars should light and start flashing. When the LED stops flashing MAX will be at the set temperature and ready to use.
When I use MAX, why does the temperature LED start to flash?
It is normal for the heat to fluctuate during use. As long as the MAX has been allowed to reach full heat (steady LED) after powering on, you can continue to use your MAX while it is flashing.
How do I clean my MAX?
When cleaning your MAX, disconnect it from the power source and make sure it has completely cooled. Wipe the outside surface only with a soft damp cloth. Be sure to wring out all excess water before applying it to the MAX. Clean more severe dirt by using a soft, damp cloth with a mild soap. Bristles can be lightly scrubbed if necessary with a damp cloth to remove any built up product and any residual hair left in the bristles should be removed. The barrel can be wiped down with a soft, damp cloth. Use a mild soap if necessary. Make sure MAX is completely dry before plugging into any power source.
How do I maintain my Max Prime?
Your MAX is essentially maintenance free. No lubrication is needed. Keep all openings clear of grime and dirt. If cleaning is necessary, unplug the unit from the power source and wait for the unit to completely cool. Wipe the exterior of the unit with a cloth. The consumer should not attempt any repairs. If a repair is required, unplug the unit, allow it to cool, and return it for repair to authorized service representative.
How do I store my InSyler Max?
To store your MAX, unplug and wait for it to fully cool. Store out of the reach of children and in a safe and dry location. Do not pull on cord at electrical source or wrap cord around the unit.
Recommended InStyler Articles On HairBrushy
|Can you use the InStyler on wet hair?||It is not recommended to use the InStyler on damp hair. It is recommended that you do not use the Wet to Dry InStyler on totally wet hair, as it is meant to help you save time when blow drying your hair. Dry your hair completely with a towel. Each time you use your InStyler, you will grow more proficient at styling your hair.|
|Does the InStyler Burn Your Hair||The Instyler has a revolving barrel that does not cause your hair to be burned when used. Because the spinning barrel produces intense heat without trapping the hair between two hot plates, the rotating InStyler is chosen by the majority of people over standard flat irons for straightening hair. This treatment leaves hair feeling smooth, silky, and healthy. The InStyler provides shine, lift, curls, and volume to your hair while also conditioning it.|
|How to Use An Instyler||The Instyler is a fantastic hair styling product that can be used to straighten, shine, and style your hair. The In Styler differs from conventional hair straightening brushes in that it has a heated revolving polishing cylinder and four rows of precisely aligned bristles, which are the primary differences.|
|Instyler Glossie Ceramic Styling Brush||Positive feedback has been received about the InStyler GLOSSIE Ceramic Straightening and Styling Brush. We are pleased with the brush and can safely recommend its purchase to other people. The Glossie was well-liked by the majority of persons who used it. And those who switched from using a conventional straightener are unlikely to switch back to using a traditional straightener in the future. The length of your hair will determine how long it will take to style it. Typically, using the InStyler brush, it will take around 25 to 30 minutes to style long hair that is down to the middle of your back or so and medium wavy in appearance.|
|What Is An Instyler||A hair styling instrument that is used to straighten, gloss, and style hair is the Instyler. The Instyler’s secret lies in its revolving hot polishing cylinder and four rows of perfectly aligned bristles, which work together to provide a smooth finish. The InStyler polishes your hair as you brush it with the revolving barrel that is covered in ceramic.|
|InStyler Rotating Brush||When it comes to straightening and curling, the InStyler MAX PRIME is a brush that spins in two ways. The InStyler MAX PRIME 2-Way styler has a spinning cylinder that may rotate in two ways depending on which side of the styler you are touching. To rotate right or left, simply push the button on the controller. By styling your hair in two directions with the InStyler MAX PRIME 2-way styler, you may enhance shine, create curls, or straighten your hair.|
|InStyler Straight Up Ceramic Straightening Brush||Smooth, straight, frizz-free hair in half the time it takes to use a flat iron with the Instyler Straight Up Ceramic Straightening Brush is possible with this product. The individual ion bristles of the Instyler Straight Up Ceramic Straightening Brush are surrounded by ceramic heated plates on the brush. Using the Instyler Straight Up Ceramic Straightening Brush, separate and straighten your hair as it glides down your hair as you are brushing it.|
Older Version of the InStyler
The older version of the InStyler had only 3 heat settings. The new MAX 2-Way has 4, therfore in my opinion is a great improvement over the older version. The rest of this article discusses the older version but much of the information is still good to know. In my opinion, InStyler took a great product and made it even better. The original rotating iron has been improved with new features, like a 2-way rotating barrel, a fourth, higher heat setting; an upgraded Ceramic Tourmaline and Titanium rotating barrel, new ionic brush bristles and 20% increased barrel RPM speed. The Thermal Guard Training Aid and Cool Tip are upgraded features for additional comfort and safety.
InStyler heat settings. Off – no bars, Low – one bar (284°F/140°C), Medium – two bars (315°F/157°C) and High – three bars (385°F/196°C).
Hot brushes are great time saving tools. But some are better than others and there are features you will want to have. What are the most important features? I analyzed the top brands and documented my findings. You can find my articles here: “Hot Brushes“.
Heat settings overview
The InStyler has an automatic Safety Shut-Off. The voltage is 120V/60Hz and the power is 135W.
InStyler heat operating sequence
InStyler directions. To start up the brush plug it into a polarized electrical outlet.
- Push the On/Off Button once for high-heat (3 Bars, 410°F). This is the ideal heat setting for thick, coarse hair.
- Push the On/Off Button a second time for medium-heat (2 Bars, 315°F). This is the ideal for thin-to-medium textured hair.
- Push the On/Off Button a third time for low-heat (1 Bar, 285°F). This is the ideal for thin, fine hair.
- Push the On/Off Button a fourth time to turn the brush off (LED Bar(s) will turn off, NO Bars). The LED bar(s) will flash until the heated barrel and smoothing plate have heated to the desired heat setting; once the desired heat setting has been achieved, the LED bar(s) will remain lit.
- Do not use the InStyler on wet hair.
InStyler temperature settings and hair type
The brush comes with a thermal guard
It is recommended that you use your Thermal Guard Training Aid to help prevent burns while you are getting used to the styling tool.
- To attach, snap the Thermal Guard Training Aid onto the side of the unit directly under the ring below the barrel.
- Rotate the Thermal Guard Training Aid until tabs are seated in the indentations on the body of the InStyler, and the Thermal Guard Training Aid is facing out.
- Once it is snapped in place, you can use your brush as normal.
MaxPrime Instyler heat settings
The MAX PRIME Blowout Revolving Styler offers the added advantage of 2-way barrel rotation and up to 4 heat settings up to 425F for maximum control.
Heating differences between an InStyler and a flat iron
The big difference is that by pressing it against a heat source, a flat iron will flatten your hair. The heat source is usually two hot plates. Your hair will then be baked. This process makes your hair very hot, which can damage your hair in some cases. The big advantage of the Instyler is that it uses a heated rotating head. Although heat is used, your hair is not pressed and subjected to high heat by towing flat iron. The rotating head is constantly moving, so it does the same job in theory, but better and faster and with less hair stress. The heated rotating barrel rotates at more than 100 revolutions per minute.
The heat settings in this article are accurate for the pictured air brush model at the time of this writing. Please make sure you follow manufacture guidelines and read your product manual before use.
Hot brushes are a great way to style your hair:
- Glamfields Hot Hair Straightening Brush
- Negative Ion Straightener Hot Air Brush
- Asavea Hot Air Hair Straightening Brush