|Best Straightening Brush For Black Hair|
If you have African American hair you know you are faced with challenges when trying to straighten your hair. Tight curls pose a difficult problem for most straightening brushes.
Straightening Brushes For Black Hair
Best “STRAIGHTENING BRUSH For Black Hair”: A top “STRAIGHTENING BRUSH For Black Hair” needs plenty of power. My recommendation for a “STRAIGHTENING BRUSH For Black Hair” is the “Drybar The Brush Crush”. Why do I recommend the Drybar for Black Hair? Because It has features you need to straighten Afro-hair, plus the back of brush runs cooler than other straightening brushes.
My Top Straightening Brush Pick
According to our in-house product analyst, Meesh says, “Top straightener brushes need to give you enough heat settings for styling a wide range of hair types. Fine to normal hair needs only minimum heat where as thick natural hair needs more heat. African American hair is going to need more heat due to the hair is thicker. Having a digital temperature display and up to 16 heat settings goes a long way in protecting your hair. You can select just the right amount of heat needed to style your hair without causing damage.”
Straightening Brush Features Needed For African-American Hair
- Tourmaline technology is frequently featured on most hot brushes. Because it emits only negative ions, this technology helps seal the cuticle (hair) and leaves you with beautifully soft hair texture. In my opinion, tourmaline is a gemstone, you can expect the cost of the product to rise if your hot brush uses tourmaline technology. But again, I think it’s worth the extra cost.
Ceramic brush technology
- So what is ceramic technology really about and why do you need it? It essentially helps to create infrared heat that heats up your hair shaft literally from inside to the outside. This is so you don’t have to keep your hair exposed to high heat for prolonged periods of time to straighten it out.
- If you have an ionic technology in your hair straightening brush, it means your brush can break the water molecules of your hair, making your hair shinier and free of the frizzes.
Hot brush auto-shut off
- Automatically shuts off the hot brush after either 30 or 60 minutes of inactivity.I consider this feature an important safety feature and should be on all straightening brushes.
Nice To Have Straightening Brush Features For Curly Afro Hair
Hot brush heat settings
- Having a wide choice of heat settings will help save your hair from damage. This feature allows you to precisely control the amount of heat needed to straighten your hair. Why apply too much heat and run the risk of creating hot spots in your hair when you don’t need to, right?
- Generally speaking the stiffer the bristles the better the penetration you are going to have. So if you have thick curly hair you are going to want a stiffer bristle to be able to get penetration and then be able to apply tension on the hair for straightening. A soft bristle brush is just not going to do the job in my opinion.
Brush cord length
- Most professional hot brushes have a 9 foot power cord. At the minimum it should have at least a 6 foot cord. Having a 360 degree swivel is a plus. This avoids the cord being twisted when styling and gives you more freedom of movement. Saves you time from having to stop styling, let the brush cool down to straighten and untangle the power cord. International power option is also great if you plan to travel with your brush.
- Most hot brushes are going to have a 1 year warranty. This is pretty much standard. There are some higher prices models that come with a 2 year warranty. The longer the warranty the better especially if the unit cost more. You are going to want a better warranty if you have to pay more. Also, after your purchase take the extra step to register your product so there is no doubt as to if you are covered or not. Also, make sure you purchase your straightener from a reputable store. This insures you get the real deal and not a knock-off look-a-like product.
So now you know what features to look for. You got a good run-down of the important features and some of the nice ones to have. So now it time to jump in and take a closer look at the best of the best.
The Top Straightener Brushes
See my comparison below on the top straightening brushes for black hair:
1. Ricank Professional STRAIGHTENING BRUSH
Budget model, does not handle black 4c hair very well, but the price is very good.
2. MiroPure 2-in-1 Ionic Hair STRAIGHTENING BRUSH
Great all-around straightener brush. No Cons from me on this one. Very good for black hair! Another near perfect budget model hair straightener. Has a lot of features for the price.
Coming in at number 2 is MiroPure. It’s a strong second due to it’s similar to Glamfields other than the shape of the head is a little larger. More of a rectangle than an oval. And it like the Glamfields is pack with features at a reasonable price that won’t break the bank.
- MiroPure hair straightener brush provides your hair with a soft, silky, natural lustrous look by sealing the hair cuticles, decreasing split ends and knotting. Get natural and healthy, silky-looking hair, rather than a flat-burnt look.
- Auto-off and auto-temperature locking characteristics guarantee maximum safety and optimum efficiency at all times. As an integrated safety function, this hair straightener brush will automatically shut down if not used for 60 minutes.
- Easily straighten hair at home with the 360-degree swivel power cord at any angle.
- I like the MCH (Metal Ceramic Heater) that even gives heat distribution and fast recovery time.
- The adjustable heat temperature from 150 ° C (300 ° F) to 230 ° C (450 ° F) allows you to match your specific type of hair: thin, fine, wavy or curled. It can heat up to the desired temperature in just one minute and deliver great results.
3. Rifny Hair STRAIGHTENING COMB
Great brush for the price, not recommended for short black hair. Has 3 heat setting and is not overly priced.
5. Glamfields STRAIGHTENING BRUSH 2.0
Probably the perfect budget model straightening brush. The back of the brush head does get hot like most all budget models.This is easily a great top pick. It has all the essential features plus a few more at an excellent price. Here is what you get:
- Double Negative Ions helps seal hair cuticles and locks natural moisture in your hair, eliminating frizz, dividing ends, knotting and adding shine, repairing hair quality damage, making a soft, silky, natural lustrous look.
- Advanced MCH technology quickly heats up, saves energy, is more durable and lasts longer. I like it because it heats up within 30 seconds after boot, has a nice wide comb tooth head that reduces straightening time.
- It has 4 heating setting levels from 330 ° F to 450 ° F (170 ° C-230 ° C) to give you total control over all your hair condition and very nice hair styling needs.
- Easy to use and very friendly due to its small size and 360 rotating power cord.
- Q: Are bristles tips hot?
- A: The tips or bristles are not hot, but the brush base is.
- Q: Does the glove come along?
- A: Yes, you get a glove.
- Q: Is this brush going to take care of frizz?
- A1: Yes, through the ceramic technology it helps get rid of the frizz.
- A2: Some folks reported that didn’t do too much.
- Q: Does it shut off automatically?
- A: Yes, after 30 minutes, the ceramic straightening brush will automatically shut down.
5. Revlon One-Step Hair Dryer & Styler Brush
Good budget model. Price is right. I am not a fan of the large handle and no temperature display but I can’t complain too much at this price.
Revlon was in the top 5 last year and in the top 5 again this year. Revlon is consistent at providing quality products at reasonable prices. While this model does not have as many features as the top two brushes mentioned above it does have the distinct advantage of a nice large head which is a big plus enabling you to straighten a lot hair fast. But the biggest reason why I like this model is the incredible 4 year limited warranty. Wow!
- Flexible, tangle-free bristles that help dry, smooth and style.
- Has an enormous 1100 watts of drying energy.
- Features ionic technology that saturates negative ions in the airflow. This helps to create shinier, smoother and more conditioned hair while decreasing static and frizz.
- 2 Heat / speed styling flexibility settings. I would like to see this model feature more heat setting
- Unit is 120V (not available at 240V outlets). I would like to see this model have travel-friendly global dual voltage.
- 4 year limited warranty.
6. Amika Polished Perfection Straightening Brush
Amika products are like a good friend-straightforward, reliable and fun to spend time with.The brush is easy to use just slide the brush through your hair at a moderate pace from root to tip for best results. the price is almost double of the competitors mentioned above and does not really provide any ground breaking features the others do not have. So for that reason it’s listed as #5.
- I like the double negative ion technology with maximum negative ions resulting in zero static shiny, smooth, frizz-free outcomes.
- Contains ceramic nylon bristles for cooler tips and emits infrared heat that immediately penetrates the cortex of the hair cuticle, heating from the inside out.
- It contains a 360° 9-foot swivel cord made of heat-proof fabric and a special hook that makes it easy to store.
- 1 year guarantee. I would have liked to see at least a 2 year warranty at this price.
- Voltage is 120V only. I would like to have seen dual voltage 110-240V at this price.
7. Abox Ionic STRAIGHTENING BRUSH
I like the auto shut off at 30 minutes and the digital temperature display. Very good features at this price. Also lock temperature which is good, can save you from burning your hair. Good budget model hair straightener.
8. Infinitipro By Conair Wet/Dry Hot Air Brush Styler
I like the tourmaline ceramic technology, but not suitable for thick black hair.
9. InStyler Straight Up Ceramic STRAIGHTENING BRUSH
Very good. What I like is the quick heat-up at 30 seconds. 7 heat setting which is good. New in the line-up for this year is the Straight Up brush. InStyler is well known in the world of hair straightening and this model provides many essential features you would want in a brush. Great value from a well known leading brush manufacturer.
- The ceramic heated plates surround each bristle, thus helping with sectioning and straightening. The powerful 65 ceramic heated plates provide even surface temperature. Instant heat recovery with fewer passes and faster styling delivers superior results.
- I like the digital screen with 7 heat settings up to 450 which offers optimum results for any hair type. This allows you to straighten and smooth your hair without creasing like a flat iron.
- Heats up quickly, in 30 seconds, and spreads heat evenly across the surface to produce straight, shiny hair all in one pass.
- Features cool ionic touch bristles that prevent the heated surface from actually touching your scalp. This is an excellent feature in my opinion. This allows you to use the product more like a real brush to brush away frizz to create a smooth, sleek look.
- Features an automatic shutdown.
- And it also has a professional swivel cord.
- 1 Year’s guarantee.
This hot brush gives you all the tension you need to straighten the root to the tip. Transform your hair with every brush while giving you a lustful shine.
10. Tymo iONIC Hair STRAIGHTENING BRUSH
Very good, has a lot of controls and features for a hot brush in this price range. Will give you a silky & natural lustrous hair.
11. Drybar The Baby Brush Crush
Same as the larger Drybar The Brush Crush but in a travel friendly size. Top quality.
12. Aquage Ionic Thermal Paddle Brush
Works great at straightening black hair. Features ion and titanium technology. Solid value.
13. CHI Tourmaline Ceramic Heated Paddle Brush
Has tourmaline ceramic bristles for a better grip in which is very important for straightening hair. I like the LED digital temperature control and the automatic locking temperature setting so you won’t burn you hair by accidentally increasing the temperature while you are straightening black hair. Solid value!
14. Lena Hair Dryer Brush And Volumizer
I love because of the powerful negative ion care & far infrared technology. Very good for straightening, volumzing, smoothing and flipping.
15. Sultra The Bombshell VoluStyle Heated Brush
I like the infrared and ionic technology and great quality. Also has an auto shut off which is great. Has an LED temperature setting with 3 settings for 300 degrees Fahrenheit for fine hair, 360 for normal hair and 430 degrees Fahrenheit for thick hair. These setting makes things really simple.
16. Drybar The Brush Crush
I love this brush because the back of the head does not get really hot like other cheaper brushes do. Top quality with many great features. My top pick because of the high quality and the precise temperature with digital display.
This is my top pick as mentioned above. And the main reason why is because all the other straightening brushes, the back of the brush head, gets very hot. The Drybar does a much better job at controlling the heat on the back of the brush. This way you are less likely to burn your hand and making it uncomfortable while using.
At first I said wow the price is really expensive but really when you think about all the hair care products your purchase over the course of a year the cost of a good straightening brush is not as much as you think. Just add up the cost of all the conditioners your purchase in one year. What’s that total? That alone could easy be close to a hundred dollars or more, right? So spending more than one hundred dollars on a high quality brush makes more since now. But now you are asking why is this one so much more than the others on the market? One big reason I believe is the back of the brush does not get as hot as all the others. This tells me Drybar put extra insulation or a came up with a better design.
Here are features I like:
- Automatic shut-off after 60 minutes. In my opinion this is a big safety feature that all straighter brushes should have.
- Nice 9 foot long power cord so you are not having to piece together extension cords. another safety feature in my opinion.
- Digital temperature control allowing you to dial-in just the right amount of heat all the time!
- 2-year limited warranty which is good and means Drybar stands behind their products.
17. ghd Glide Hot Brush, Professional Hot Brush
I love because this is the simplest hot hush to use period! Fantastic to tame and smooth dry hair for quick and effortless styling.
Straightening Brush Conclusion
Now, you really have to ask yourself is this the best way to straighten your Afro-hair? Probably not, there are better ways like using a flat iron but for many folks using a straightening brush will work and is safer for your hair than pressing your hair between two flat irons. Our in-house hair research analyst Stacey says, “Just remember not to overuse your straightening brush. It can also cause damage if used too much. Exposing your hair to high heat on a regularly is not good.” Your hair will not like you!
If you are new to straightening brushes then you most certainly will want to read my article call Best Hair Straightening Brush. In this article I compare 9 of the best brushes head-to-head giving you a run-down of the top 20 features of each brush.
Also, be sure to bookmark my Hot Brushes page. This is where I list great articles on hair straighteners. I make updates to this page regularly when I discover something new. This can be a great resource and a handy reference.
Any one of the above mentioned straightening brushes would be an excellent choice for Afro-American hair. One of the main things to remember is to purchase from a well known major manufacture.
In addition, many times you don’t know what you are really getting in terms of quality. It’s a hit or miss. When purchasing from unknown brands or brands that sell exclusively on major online selling sites quality is good for a while and then suddenly the quality drops like a rock. You can avoid all this by purchasing from a major manufacture. They can’t change their name at the drop of a hat. Their reputation is at stake.
Jasmaine Cook from Pixabay