If you have African American hair you know you are faced with challenges when trying to straighten your hair. Tight curls pose a difficult problem for most straightening brushes. So are straightening brushes really worth it?
Straightening Brushes For Afro Hair
Straightening Brushes for Black hair are a fantastic instrument that produce beautifully straight hair. They may take you a little while to get used to, especially if you are used to using a flat iron, but they are far simpler and easier to use on African hair than a flat iron. “STRAIGHTENING BRUSH For Black Hair” needs plenty of power.
According to our in-house product analyst, Meesh says, “straightener brushes for black hair need to give you enough heat settings for styling a wide range of hair types. Fine to normal hair needs only minimum heat where as thick natural hair needs more heat. African American hair is going to need more heat due to the hair is thicker. Having a digital temperature display and up to 16 heat settings goes a long way in protecting your hair. You can select just the right amount of heat needed to style your hair without causing damage.“
There are many styling salon that recommend you avoid straightening brushes. For example, Karline Hair Salon in Palm Beach, FL says, “For the record, our recommendation is to avoid heated styling tools altogether.” Plus many Dermatologist don’t like hair straighteners. Here is an interesting article from James W. Anderson, M.D on hair straightening.
In no particular order.
|Hair Straightening Brushes for Black Hair||Hair Straightening Brushes Do They Actually Work?|
|1. Ricank Professional STRAIGHTENING BRUSH||Although this is a budget model, it does not handle black 4c hair very well, the price is really reasonable.|
|2. MiroPure 2-in-1 Ionic Hair STRAIGHTENING BRUSH||Straightener brush that is excellent for all-around use. There are no negatives from my perspective on this one. Excellent for people with dark hair! Another hair straightener that comes close to being a superb budget model. There are numerous benefits for the price.|
|3. Rifny Hair STRAIGHTENING COMB||For the price, this is an excellent brush; nevertheless, it is not suggested for short black hair. It has three heat settings and is not excessively expensive.|
|4. Glamfields STRAIGHTENING BRUSH 2.0||Straightening brush that is most likely the best value for money. The back of the brush head does become hot, as it does with the majority of cheap models. This is without a doubt a fantastic top pick. It includes all of the main functions, as well as a few extras, and it is offered at an affordable price.|
|5. Revlon One-Step Hair Dryer & Styler Brush||Budgeting model that works well. The price is reasonable. I’m not a fan of the huge handle or the fact that there is no temperature display, but for the price, I can’t really complain.|
|6. Infinitipro By Conair Wet/Dry Hot Air Brush Styler||The tourmaline ceramic (ceramic coating) technology is appealing to me, however it is not ideal for people with thick black hair.|
|7. InStyler Straight Up Ceramic STRAIGHTENING BRUSH||Very well done. What I enjoy about it is how quickly it heats up (30 seconds). There are seven heat settings, which is satisfactory. The Straight Up brush is a new addition to the line-up for this year. InStyler is a well-known brand in the area of hair straightening, and this particular model has many of the features you would expect from a brush of this kind. Excellent bargain from a well-known and respected premier brush company.|
|8. Tymo iONIC Hair STRAIGHTENING BRUSH||Extremely well-designed, with numerous controllable parameters and functions for a hot brush in this price range. Will leave you with silky, natural-looking lustrous locks.|
|9. Drybar The Baby Brush Crush||Straightening black hair with this product is a breeze. It is equipped with ion and titanium technology. This is a good deal. When traveling, I prefer the small but powerful size.|
|10. CHI Tourmaline Ceramic Heated Paddle Brush||When straightening hair, tourmaline ceramic bristles provide a firmer grip, which is critical for straightening hair. My favorite features are the LED digital temperature control and automatic locking temperature setting, which prevents you from mistakenly increasing the temperature while straightening black hair and burning yourself or your hair. This is a great deal!|
|11. Lena Hair Dryer Brush And Volumizer||Because of the powerful negative ion care and far infrared technology, I really like it. Straightening, volumizing, smoothing, and flipping are all possible with this product.|
|12. Sultra The Bombshell VoluStyle Heated Brush||I appreciate the use of infrared and ionic technology, as well as the high level of quality. It also features an auto-shutdown feature, which is really convenient. It has a temperature setting with an LED display that has three settings: 300 degrees Fahrenheit for fine hair, 360 degrees Fahrenheit for average hair, and 430 degrees Fahrenheit for thick hair. Things become really straightforward as a result of this configuration.|
|13. Drybar The Brush Crush||This brush is one of my favorites since the rear of the head does not get too heated like the backs of other, less expensive brushes. Excellent quality with a plethora of useful functions. Because of the great quality and precision temperature control provided by the digital display, this is my top choice. Also my top pick for frizzy hair.|
|14. ghd Glide Hot Brush, Professional Hot Brush||I like it since it is the most straightforward hot hush to use ever! This product is excellent for taming and smoothing dry hair for quick and uncomplicated styling.|
|15. Remington Pro 2-in-1 Heated Straightening Brush||I love the very affordable price and it actually works very well to eliminate frizz. However, I hate the Purple color. Lucky it also comes in other colors like black. My biggest complaint is due to the brush head design it’s not going to work very well for folks who have short hair. Other than that it’s actually a great buy.|
|16. Dyson Airwrap||Excellence. I love everything but the price. However, I highly recommend. Very high quality, with excellence fit and finish. Great performance. Like all excellent hot hair brushes it need no gloves. Read my article on how to use the Dyson Airwrap.|
Do Straightening Brushes Really Work On Afro 4c Hair?
1. Ricank Professional STRAIGHTENING BRUSH
Budget model, does not handle black 4c hair very well, but the price is very good.
2. MiroPure 2-in-1 Ionic Hair STRAIGHTENING BRUSH
Great all-around straightener brush. No Cons from me on this one. Very good for black hair! Another near perfect budget model hair straightener. Has a lot of features for the price.
Coming in at number 2 is MiroPure. It’s a strong second due to it’s similar to Glamfields other than the shape of the head is a little larger. More of a rectangle than an oval. And it like the Glamfields is pack with features at a reasonable price that won’t break the bank.
- MiroPure hair straightener brush provides your hair with a soft, silky, natural lustrous look by sealing the hair cuticles, decreasing split ends and knotting. Get natural and healthy, silky-looking hair, rather than a flat-burnt look.
- Auto-off and auto-temperature locking characteristics guarantee maximum safety and optimum efficiency at all times. As an integrated safety function, this hair straightener brush will automatically shut down if not used for 60 minutes.
- Easily straighten hair at home with the 360-degree swivel power cord at any angle.
- I like the MCH (Metal Ceramic Heater) that even gives heat distribution and fast recovery time.
- The adjustable heat temperature from 150 ° C (300 ° F) to 230 ° C (450 ° F) allows you to match your specific type of hair: thin, fine, wavy or curled. It can heat up to the desired temperature in just one minute and deliver great results.
3. Rifny Hair STRAIGHTENING COMB
Great brush for the price, not recommended for short black hair. Has 3 heat setting and is not overly priced.
5. Glamfields STRAIGHTENING BRUSH 2.0
Probably the perfect budget model straightening brush. The back of the brush head does get hot like most all budget models.This is easily a great top pick. It has all the essential features plus a few more at an excellent price. Here is what you get:
- Double Negative Ions helps seal hair cuticles and locks natural moisture in your hair, eliminating frizz, dividing ends, knotting and adding shine, repairing hair quality damage, making a soft, silky, natural lustrous look.
- Advanced MCH technology quickly heats up, saves energy, is more durable and lasts longer. I like it because it heats up within 30 seconds after boot, has a nice wide comb tooth head that reduces straightening time.
- It has 4 heating setting levels from 330 ° F to 450 ° F (170 ° C-230 ° C) to give you total control over all your hair condition and very nice hair styling needs.
- Easy to use and very friendly due to its small size and 360 rotating power cord.
- Q: Are bristles tips hot?
- A: The tips or bristles are not hot, but the brush base is.
- Q: Does the glove come along?
- A: Yes, you get a glove.
- Q: Is this brush going to take care of frizz?
- A1: Yes, through the ceramic technology it helps get rid of the frizz.
- A2: Some folks reported that didn’t do too much.
- Q: Does it shut off automatically?
- A: Yes, after 30 minutes, the ceramic straightening brush will automatically shut down.
5. Revlon One-Step Hair Dryer & Styler Brush
Good budget model. Price is right. I am not a fan of the large handle and no temperature display but I can’t complain too much at this price.
Revlon was in the top 5 last year and in the top 5 again this year. Revlon is consistent at providing quality products at reasonable prices. While this model does not have as many features as the top two brushes mentioned above it does have the distinct advantage of a nice large head which is a big plus enabling you to straighten a lot hair fast. But the biggest reason why I like this model is the incredible 4 year limited warranty. Wow!
- Flexible, tangle-free bristles that help dry, smooth and style.
- Has an enormous 1100 watts of drying energy.
- Features ionic technology that saturates negative ions in the airflow. This helps to create shinier, smoother and more conditioned hair while decreasing static and frizz.
- 2 Heat / speed styling flexibility settings. I would like to see this model feature more heat setting
- Unit is 120V (not available at 240V outlets). I would like to see this model have travel-friendly global dual or universal voltage.
- 4 year limited warranty.
6. Infinitipro By Conair Wet/Dry Hot Air Brush Styler
I like the tourmaline ceramic technology, but not suitable for thick black hair.
7. InStyler Straight Up Ceramic STRAIGHTENING BRUSH
Very good. What I like is the quick heat-up at 30 seconds. 7 heat setting which is good. New in the line-up for this year is the Straight Up brush. InStyler is well known in the world of hair straightening and this model provides many essential features you would want in a brush. Great value from a well known leading brush manufacturer.
- The ceramic heated plates surround each bristle, thus helping with sectioning and straightening. The powerful 65 ceramic heated plates provide even surface temperature. Instant heat recovery with fewer passes and faster styling delivers superior results.
- I like the digital screen with 7 heat settings up to 450 which offers optimum results for any hair type. This allows you to straighten and smooth your hair without creasing like a flat iron.
- Heats up quickly, in 30 seconds, and spreads heat evenly across the surface to produce straight, shiny hair all in one pass.
- Features cool ionic touch bristles that prevent the heated surface from actually touching your scalp. This is an excellent feature in my opinion. This allows you to use the product more like a real brush to brush away frizz to create a smooth, sleek look.
- Features an automatic shutdown.
- And it also has a professional swivel cord.
- 1 Year’s guarantee.
This hot brush gives you all the tension you need to straighten the root to the tip. Transform your hair with every brush while giving you a lustful shine.
8. Tymo iONIC Hair STRAIGHTENING BRUSH
Very good, has a lot of controls and features for a hot brush in this price range. Will give you a silky & natural lustrous hair.
9. Drybar The Baby Brush Crush
Works great at straightening black hair. Features ion and titanium technology. Solid value. I like the small but powerful size for travel.
10. CHI Tourmaline Ceramic Heated Paddle Brush
Has tourmaline ceramic bristles for a better grip in which is very important for straightening hair. I like the LED digital temperature control and the automatic locking temperature setting so you won’t burn you hair by accidentally increasing the temperature while you are straightening black hair. Solid value!
11. Lena Hair Dryer Brush And Volumizer
I love because of the powerful negative ion care & far infrared technology. Very good for straightening, volumzing, smoothing and flipping.
12. Sultra The Bombshell VoluStyle Heated Brush
I like the infrared and ionic technology and great quality. Also has an auto shut off which is great. Has an LED temperature setting with 3 settings for 300 degrees Fahrenheit for fine hair, 360 for normal hair and 430 degrees Fahrenheit for thick hair. These setting makes things really simple.
13. Drybar The Brush Crush
I love this brush because the back of the head does not get really hot like other cheaper brushes do. Top quality with many great features. My top pick because of the high quality and the precise temperature with digital LCD display.
This is my top pick as mentioned above. And the main reason why is because all the other straightening brushes, the back of the brush head, gets very hot. The Drybar does a much better job at controlling the heat on the back of the brush. This way you are less likely to burn your hand and making it uncomfortable while using.
At first I said wow the price is really expensive but really when you think about all the hair care products your purchase over the course of a year the cost of a good straightening brush is not as much as you think. Just add up the cost of all the conditioners your purchase in one year. What’s that total? That alone could easy be close to a hundred dollars or more, right? So spending more than one hundred dollars on a high quality brush makes more since now. But now you are asking why is this one so much more than the others on the market? One big reason I believe is the back of the brush does not get as hot as all the others. This tells me Drybar put extra insulation or a came up with a better design.
Here are features I like:
- Automatic shut-off after 60 minutes. In my opinion this is a big safety feature that all straighter brushes should have.
- Nice 9 foot long power cord so you are not having to piece together extension cords. another safety feature in my opinion.
- Digital temperature control allowing you to dial-in just the right amount of heat all the time!
- 2-year limited warranty which is good and means Drybar stands behind their products.
14. ghd Glide Hot Brush, Professional Hot Brush
I love because this is the simplest hot hush to use period! Fantastic to tame and smooth dry hair for quick and effortless styling.
Straightening Brush Features Needed For African-American 4c Hair
1. Tourmaline technology
Tourmaline technology is frequently featured on most hot brushes. Because it emits only negative ions, this technology helps seal the cuticle (hair) and leaves you with beautifully soft hair texture. In my opinion, tourmaline is a gemstone, you can expect the cost of the product to rise if your hot brush uses tourmaline technology. But again, I think it’s worth the extra cost.
2. Ceramic brush technology
So what is ceramic technology really about and why do you need it? It essentially helps to create infrared heat that heats up your hair shaft literally from inside to the outside. This is so you don’t have to keep your hair exposed to high heat for prolonged periods of time to straighten it out.
3. Ionic technology
If you have an ionic technology in your hair straightening brush, it means your brush can break the water molecules of your hair, making your hair shinier and free of the frizzes.
4. Hot brush auto-shut off
Automatically shuts off the hot brush after either 30 or 60 minutes of inactivity.I consider this feature an important safety feature and should be on all straightening brushes.
My Tips On Straightening Brushes
Tip: The Drybar The Brush Crush is great and yes it cost more but you do not need a glove to protect your hand because the back of the brush does not get burning hot. The brush is nicely insulated to protect your hands.
Tip: When straightening thick curly hair you need more heat. Thick curly hair is more heat tolerant as compared to thin or medium thick hair. Set the temperature using the digital display on the Drybar and now you control the amount heat needed to straighten your hair.
Tip: But, if you want pin straight hair and you have thick curly hair then a straightening brush is not what I would recommend. You really need a professional grade flat iron. And if you decide to purchase a flat iron, please do your hair a favor and don’t buy a $20.00 flat iron. At least look at something like a ghd or Karmin.
Nice To Have Straightening Brush Features For Curly Afro Hair
1. Hot brush heat settings
Having a wide choice of heat settings will help save your hair from damage. This feature allows you to precisely control the amount of heat needed to straighten your hair. Why apply too much heat and run the risk of creating hot spots in your hair when you don’t need to, right?
2. Brush bristles
Generally speaking the stiffer the bristles the better the penetration you are going to have. So if you have thick curly hair you are going to want a stiffer bristle to be able to get penetration and then be able to apply tension on the hair for straightening. A soft bristle brush is just not going to do the job in my opinion.
3. Brush cord length
Most professional hot brushes have a 9 foot power cord. At the minimum it should have at least a 6 foot cord. Having a 360 degree swivel is a plus. This avoids the cord being twisted when styling and gives you more freedom of movement. Saves you time from having to stop styling, let the brush cool down to straighten and untangle the power cord. International power option is also great if you plan to travel with your brush.
Most hot brushes are going to have a 1 year warranty. This is pretty much standard. There are some higher prices models that come with a 2 year warranty. The longer the warranty the better especially if the unit cost more. You are going to want a better warranty if you have to pay more. Also, after your purchase take the extra step to register your product so there is no doubt as to if you are covered or not. Also, make sure you purchase your straightener from a reputable store. This insures you get the real deal and not a knock-off look-a-like product.
So now you know what features to look for. You got a good run-down of the important features and some of the nice ones to have. So now it time to jump in and take a closer look at the best of the best.
Straightening Brush Conclusion
Now, you really have to ask yourself is this the best way to straighten your Afro-hair? Probably not, there are better ways like using a flat iron but for many folks using a straightening brush will work and is safer for your hair than pressing your hair between two flat irons. Our in-house hair research analyst Stacey says, “Just remember not to overuse your straightening brush. It can also cause damage if used too much. Exposing your hair to high heat on a regularly is not good.” Your hair will not like you!
If you are new to straightening brushes then you most certainly will want to read my article call Best Hair Straightening Brush. In this article I compare 9 of the best brushes head-to-head giving you a run-down of the top 20 features of each brush.
Also, be sure to bookmark my Hot Brushes (hot comb, hot tool) page. This is where I list great articles on hair straighteners. I make updates to this page regularly when I discover something new. This can be a great resource and a handy reference.
Any one of the above mentioned straightening brushes would be an excellent choice for Afro-American hair. One of the main things to remember is to purchase from a well known major manufacture.
In addition, many times you don’t know what you are really getting in terms of quality. It’s a hit or miss. When purchasing from unknown brands or brands that sell exclusively on major online selling sites quality is good for a while and then suddenly the quality drops like a rock. You can avoid all this by purchasing from a major manufacture. They can’t change their name at the drop of a hat. Their reputation is at stake.
References On HairBrushy:
Jasmaine Cook from Pixabay